There are many organic purists in the indoor growing community who struggle with the cloning stage because they do not want to use synthetic hormones.
No need to worry! There are two natural and organic sources that can successfully provide a rooting boost to freshly taken cuttings. These two stimulants are honey and willow extract.
- That’s right! Honey can be used as a natural rooting stimulate.
- he reason honey works well as a rooting hormone is due to its natural antiseptic and anti-fungal properties.
- In other words, honey protects the tender cuttings from pathogens and allows the natural rooting hormones to work their magic.
- Although results will not be seen as quickly as when a synthetic rooting hormone is used, honey is a great natural cloning agent that will allow growers to achieve high success rates during cloning.
- To use honey as a cloning agent, simply dip the cutting into the honey to create a thin layer over the cut tissue.
After dipping into the honey place the cutting into the desired medium.
- Many synthetic rooting hormones will help the plant create roots in three to five days.
- Growers who use honey for their cuttings can expect root formation in seven to 14 days.
- Willow extract is probably the best natural organic rooting stimulator available.
- There are many products available that use it as the main ingredient.
- The reason willow extract works so well is because it contains two auxin hormones: salicylic acid (SA) and indolebutyric acid (IBA).
- SA is involved in signaling a plant’s natural defenses while IBA—once thought to be only available synthetically—stimulates root growth.
- This hormone is found in high concentrations in the growing tips of willow branches.
- Products made with willow extract contain these two powerful hormones and can naturally provide the same success rates as synthetic rooting hormone products.
- In fact, it is not uncommon for growers to experience root growth in a matter of days when using willow extract as the rooting stimulator.